Friday 21 September 2012

A productive day!

Today, Friday 21st September 2012, turned out to be a very productive day.

It started with a a quick clean up of the shack, throwing out useless junk and setting up the second workstation in the shack.

It then followed with lesson on how to properly use the FT-1000MP MK V by a very poorly but knowledgeable fellow (EI2JD).  Little did I know that I now have lots to learn!!

The day continued with a few tests of external HDD's, which, incidentally, all turned out to be dead.

We were surprised that we could not get the Antron to tune on 12M but no matter what we did it would not tune.  It  would tune fine on 10M, 15M and 17M.

I did manage to make a couple of QSO's on the 1000MP,  one into Europe and one VR2, both on the Antron 99.

I also hooked up my new Diamond Duplexer for 2M and 70CM.  I was delighted to hear the Dundalk repeater on 70CMs for the VERY first time!  I am looking forward to many QSOs on this new band in the future.

And to cap off the day (it being a beautiful day), we managed to put up Inverted V's for 80M & 40M - photo's will follow.  We clamped a small pole horizontally on the top of the tower and hooked the center of the Inverted V's to it.  On testing, it turns out that the Inverted V's were tuned for the CW portion of both bands.  I need to shorten the elements for SSB use.







I am delighed with how the day went and I still have two more days in this weekend!

73

EI9GTB

1 comment:

  1. Now why the heck would you shorten perfectly good wires on CW for SSB? Hmmm . . . not good! Congrats on the station developments Brian. You will have great fun up there.

    ReplyDelete